located in Kanazawa Ward, Yokohama,
in the south of Tokyo. The station
is operated by Keihin Electric Express
Railway (Keikyu) and is served by
its Keikyu Main Line.
is located in Yokohama's southernmost
part. On the east it faces Tokyo
Bay, which has given its symbol
of the sea, waves, and a gull. Kanazawa
is best known for its museum, Kanazawa-Bunko,
and the temple Shomyoji.
is a private museum located a short
walk from Kanazawa-Bunko Station.
It features a private collection
of traditional Japanese and Chinese
art objects, which includes Kamakura
portraits, Japanese and Chinese
calligraphy, Buddhist sutras and
was originally a library opened
in 1275 by Hojo Sanetoki (1224-1276),
a grandson of Hojo Yoshitoki, the
second regent of the Kamakura Shogunate.
The Hojo Family held enormous power
during the Kamakura period and as
such held many ancient Buddhist
and Chinese scriptures and writings.
Hojo Yoshitoki opened the library
to display this collection and be
used by students and scholars. This
collection, which consists of more
than 30,000 books and manuscripts,
is still there - well preserved
and maintained. With time, as the
Kamakura period ended and other
periods followed, all the precious
art collections of the Kamakuras
were added to the library, thus
it turned into a museum.
besides the library, the museum
has some priceless art objects –
among them the celadon from the
Chinese Song period, pottery from
Tang and Han, and the eleven-headed
Kannon (Goddess of Mercy), which
have been designated as Important
Cultural Properties in Japan. This
oldest library of Japan and the
priceless collection of Kamakura
treasures are maintained by Shomyoji
Temple, which stands next to Kanazawa-Bunko.
to the museum is 250 yen for adults,
150 yen for those under 20, and
is free for children under 15 and
senior citizens 65 and above.
Temple is located right next to
the museum. It was built by Hojo
Sanetoki in 1252 on a Hojo family
estate. Originally founded as a
shrine for Sanetoki's deceased wife,
it was later converted into a temple
when Sanetoki became interested
in Buddhism. It remained the family
temple of the Hojo clan till the
time they remained in power.
spacious grounds of Shomyoji Temple
are approached through Nio gate.
The grounds are a beautiful Jodo
style garden with a large pond,
called Ajiike Pond, in the middle.
There are two bridges – one arched
and one flat – over the pond. The
garden was originally styled by
Shoitsu, a monk of the Kamakura
period who specialized in garden
design. It was restored in 1978
to its original glory by following
maps and drawings of the earlier
period, and is today one of the
few 12 th century design gardens
temple buildings are on the other
side of the pond and have to be
reached by crossing the bridges.
The main temple building is called
the Golden Hall, which still has
the original thatched roof. Inside
this hall is the main object of
worship, the 1.9 meter high statue
of Miroku Bosatsu, or the Buddha
of the Future. This statue is said
to have been built in 1276 and is
kept inside locked doors as they
say its “time has not come yet”.
The other temple building is Shaka
Hall, where prayer meetings are
temple flourished during the times
of Sanetoki's son and grandson,
who further added more halls – Miroku
Hall, Goma Hall, the three storied
pagoda, the Lecture Hall, and the
main gate, Nio Gate. But after the
fall of the Hojo family in 1333,
the decline of the temple began
and it started losing its fortunes.
The buildings were later restored
during the Edo period.
grave lies on a hill behind the
to Shomyoji Temple grounds is free.