Sendagi Station is located in the Sendagi district of Bunkyo Ward of Tokyo. It is operated by Tokyo Metro for its Chiyoda Subway Line.


Sendagi is part of the historical area known as Yanesen . The atmosphere of this simple and cozy residential district still holds signs of the Edo period. One can still find traditional wooden houses, small old-styled pubs (Izakaya), and a large number of old temples here – mainly because this area has miraculously survived the 1923 Kanto earthquake and the World War II bombings. Walking through the narrow streets of Sendagi will take you to many of these sights. Among the most prominent of these are:


Daienji Temple


Daienji Temple is located just 2 minutes walk from Sendagi Station. This small but distinctive temple is dedicated to Harunobu, one of Edo's most famous ukiyo-e artists of the 1760s, and Osen Kasamori, a teahouse worker who modeled for many of Harunobu's portraits. There are two large stone markers at the temple – the larger one is the monument to Harunobu, and the smaller one to Osen. This temple is also unique for the fact that there is also a Shinto shrine on the temple grounds.


Daienji Temple is also famous for its chrysanthemum fair, known as Yanaka Kiku Matsuri . This annual festival, held every year on October 14-15, is a beautiful blend of chrysanthemums and puppets. A large chrysanthemum market and puppet performances are the distinctive features of the festival. Other than these, food stands and stalls selling traditional artifacts and kiku ningyo dolls are also put up for those coming from all over Tokyo to enjoy the fair.


Choanji Temple


Located close to Daienji Temple is Choanji Temple. Established in 1669 and dedicated to Jurojin, the god of longevity, Choanji Temple is best known for its three stone stupas erected for the repose of departed souls. K nown as itabi , these stupas, which date back to the 1200s, are located by the statues straight ahead on the main path under the cedar trees. There is also a small cemetery on the temple grounds, where the grave of Hogai Kano, a famous artist, can be found.


Tennoji Temple


Tennoji is the oldest and best known of Buddhist temples in Yanesen. Originally founded in 1274 as a temple of Nichiren denomination during the Kamakura period, it changed its denominator to Tendai in 1699 during the Edo period. Later in 1833, it again changed to Tennoji and it remains so till today.


The Tennoji Temple complex used to be huge – almost 10 times the present size – till 1868 when much of it was destroyed during the battle between Tokugawa loyalists and Imperial forces on the nearby Ueno Hill. Today, the complex is a neat, well-kept, and quiet place. Upon entering the compound, the first thing that you see is a seated Buddha. This statue, which is made of bronze and dates back to 1690, is one of the temple's most treasured possessions. Close by is the standing bronze Jizo, the guardian of children's spirits. This was erected about 80 years ago by a grieving father for his son, who was killed while playing in a nearby playground. The boy's name and a relief depicting boys playing can be found at the base of the statue. A little further is a third statue – a stone one of Kannon, the goddess of mercy. The temple building structures are the original ones built in traditional architectural style. Tennoji Temple is located 4 minutes on foot from Sendagi Station.


Yanaka Cemetery


Located close to Tennoji Temple, is Yanaka Cemetery. Yanaka Cemetery was originally two separate burial grounds of Kaneiji and Tennoji Temples, but in 1874, the Meiji authorities took over the two and joined them into one large cemetery. It was then opened to the public as the country's largest burial ground. In 1935, it was renamed Yanaka Reien , but it continues to be called by its original name.


This huge cemetery is on top of a cliff, somewhat like a table land. It covers an area of 100,300 m? and has over 7,000 graves. A section of the cemetery is set aside for the Tokugawa family. This private section is surrounded by walls and can only be peeked at from above them. The grave of the last shogun, Tokugawa Yoshinobu is also located here. Among the other famous names buried at Yanaka Cemetery are writers Soseki Natsume (1867-1916) and Ogai Mori (1862-1922), the great Japanese-style painter Yokoyama Taikan (1868-1958), koto player and composer Miyagi Michio (1894-1956), the Russian Greek-Orthodox priest Nicolai (of the famous cathedral in Kanda) and businessman Shibuzawa Eiichi (1840-1931).


In the middle of the cemetery grounds is a police station. Next to it are the remains of what used to be a Five-Storied Pagoda of Tennoji Temple, which was burned down in 1957 in a double love suicide case. The ruins were later declared a historical landmark by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.


Yanaka Cemetery is also famous for its cherry blossoms. Cherry trees line both sides of the cemetery paths and in April the place is a beautiful sight. The street running through the center of the cemetery is known as Cherry Blossom Avenue.

Asakura Choso Museum ( Choso Sculpture Hall )

Asakura Choso Museum, also known as Choso Sculpture Hall, is not a museum in the real sense of the word. It is actually the former residence and studio of scholar and sculptor Fumio Asakura (1883-1964), known as “father of modern Japanese sculpture” in Japan. This former residence now permanently exhibits Asakura's major works.


The compound, with the house and its garden, was designed by Asakura himself, and it took six years to build. Completed in 1936, the highlight of the compound is the garden. Built in Zen style, it is a mix of rocks and water. A traditional teahouse and a majestic bronze statue, Grave Keeper (1909), grace the garden.

The building consists of two sections – the atelier section (built of ferro-concrete in the western style), and the living section (built with bamboo motifs in traditional Japanese style). The two contrasting sections blend together harmoniously in a most intriguing manner. In the middle of the Japanese-style living section is an inner courtyard with a pond. Large stones representing the Five Virtues of Confucius are arranged around the pond.


There are three floors to the building. The first two floors have most of Asakura's sculptures, which include those of statesmen, women, and cats. A large room on the second floor is the tatami room, set aside to view sunrise from its large windows. The third floor is the roof, where the rooftop garden is located. This beautiful Japanese style garden gives a beautiful view of the Yanaka region.

Located 3 minutes' walk from Sendagi Station, Asakura Choso Museum is a wonderful place to visit. There is an entrance fee of ¥ 400.

Yanaka Ginza  

Yanaka Ginza is a famous shopping street in the Yanesen area. Situated just 4 minutes' walk from Sendagi Station, Yanaka Ginza is a 150 m long and 5-6 m wide street. Free from vehicular traffic, this old-fashioned shopping street is lined on both sides with shops selling both modern and traditional toys, crafts, clothing, sweets, household goods, tofu, rice, fish, and vegetables; tea shops; sushi and soba restaurants, and much more. Yanaka Ginza is an ideal place to get some great local souvenirs.



Back to Tokyo Area Train Guide
There are No Featured Hotels in the Sendagi area that we represent
Sendagi Area City Guide - Useful information on Tokyo shopping, restaurants, activities, things to do and more!
  Activities & Events   Banks   Medical Assistance   Nightlife   Restaurants     Shopping
The Tokyo Travel Information Experts!
Send an email to us at and we will answer any questions you may have about Tokyo.
All content and images copyright . No use of any content permitted without written authorization. Webmaster contact:
website by Rossetti International l photography by Jeff Laitila